Thursday, December 23, 2010

Spatial Sense

Most people take their spatial sense for granted. In fact I would guess that most people don't even think about it at all. I think about it a lot. When I put a glass on a table and miss by a foot (thus sending glass and liquid flying to the floor) or when I walk into a wall instead of through the doorway or when I can't find my way home or when I try and do anything artistic, I think about it.

It seems to me that I just don't see things the way other people do. Most of my friends would recognize a house that they pass every day. I have moments when I have no idea where I am. I don't recognize the landmarks near me. I can be standing at a intersection that I frequently go through and not know which way to go.

If I took you to the middle of the woods in the dark where all the trees are the same and left you there. You would probably not be able to find your way out. With no sun, no compass and no moss that you can see growing on whatever side of the tree moss grows on, you would have none of the usual navigation tools that you rely on to get you out. You would probably panic - with anxiety, fear and confusion clawing at you. You may be the sort who would stay right where you were until someone came for you or you might intrepidly strike out to find your way. This is what the world often looks like to me. Every place can be a strange place and I am challenged to find my way out. Sometimes I freeze hoping that someone will come along and tell me which way to go and sometimes I intrepidly strike out hoping that I will get where I am going.

In the world of dyspraxia, I am very fortunate. I know my left from my right. I can read maps. Many can't and I can't imagine how they manage. So next time you are traveling through familiar territory, give thanks to your spatial sense for making it all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment