I don't want to give the impression that I am wallowing in self pity or blaming everything that is difficult in my life on dyspraxia. There are some perks too.
My long term memory is excellent. I can remember things from childhood that others can't. I remember books that my mother read to me and stories that she told about our family.
I have good verbal skills. I remember conversations that I've had with people. I stopped taking notes in university because of the difficulty I had with writing and paying attention at the same time. I simply sat in class and listened. I still (14 yrs later) remember certain lectures and seminar topics. I've come to realize that I'm actually kind of smart.
I don't have a lot of trouble with gross motor skills. I've always been able to run and jump and do many other activities. I loved gym class unlike most dyspraxics who will tell you that it was their personal hell in school. I play soccer on a 35+ women's team and while I'm not a superstar, I still enjoy the physical movement and the team environment.
I'm compassionate and understand difficulties that other people have.
I've developed my own ways of getting around dyspraxia. I have a sense of humour about my difficulties (most of the time). I mostly realize that the little things aren't that important (like eating neatly).
I can type.
I can develop complicated databases and learn quickly how to use new programs.
I can absorb new ideas and concepts easily.
There are probably more things that I'm good at but the point is that realizing that you have a learning disability doesn't mean that everything in your life is bad. There are things that are harder for you than they are for other people but you probably got some gifts back in return. Celebrate the positives as well when you recognize the negatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment