Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Childhood Skills Part 1b

I missed a couple of things in the last post that I want to mention.

A brilliant teacher who had watched me run (and fall) during recess decided to teach me how to fall properly. She took me to the gym and had me climb up a rope a bit and then let go (there was a puffy mat under the rope). She helped me learn to roll as I fell until it became automatic. I think that this clever teacher is the reason that I didn't haven't broken any bones falling.

I began ballet when I was six. My mother picked the studio very carefully. The instructor was very old school and strict but kind. She realized pretty quickly that I didn't know my left and right apart. She showed me the trick of holding the my arms bent up at the elbow, with hand open and palm facing away from my body - the left hand forms the letter L. She would also move my whole body in the correct direction. Together, these two techniques helped me to learn my directions. Ballet also helped me become aware of where my body was in space and where my limbs were. I had the advantage of a mother who knew some ballet and could help me at home. I also don't have as much difficulty with gross motor skills as I do with fine skills which made it possible for me to develop skills in dance. I credit ballet with giving me the skills to learn sports (except those with small balls which I still can't do). Many people seem to do martial arts now and I think that the principles are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment